Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Republican Candidates: Mike Huckabee

Mike Huckabee is a strange duck. At first I paid him no mind. I thought his stage presence and quick wit was interesting, but his record indicated he likes to raise taxes. With that, I ignored him as a possibility of becoming the presidential candidate for my party. We simply cannot raise taxes.

However, the primary campaigns have held many surprises on both sides; one of the most interesting is Huckabee's rise from nobody to somebody. Ed Rollins, an old pol, has signed on to his campaign. That's how much ground Huckabee's gained.

Huckabee successfully took on Mitt Romney, bringing himself up in the polls to even. In addition to good campaigning, his other opponent, Fred Thompson has indeed lived up to his too laid-back image. Also, Giuliani has been fairly invisible the last few weeks due to something we've yet to hear about, I'll bet. He may just be taking cover.

That leaves Senator John McCain and (it's difficult to use their names in the same sentence)Congressman Ron Paul, an aberration, a gnat, a pest, just another distraction. There is great hope for McCain who has become a factor after his endorsements from key primary states newspapers. He's pulling out of a hole he was in over the summer, mostly from his ridiculous stance on immigration. He said he's sorry. His I've-learned-my-lesson ads are especially compelling in light of his heroic performance as a PO. In comparison to the rest of the candidates, excepting Rudy, Senator McCain is probably the most moral of the group.

An acerbic commentator suggested that Huckabee wasn't running as a moderate, or a conservative. "Huckabee is running as a Christian."

I agree. The governor has made religion the issue while he has ignored more germane discussions. I thought Reverend Huckabee was harmless.

I've rethought that. I'm still bothered by the ease at which he, a Baptist preacher, moved on from the cross issue.

Thanks for the read.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

site internet xanax identifier - xanax pies